Our Blog

sam ensures long screen play in tolly


In an industry where directors try and launch a fresh face with every new film, 22-year-old Samantha’s impressive debut, Yem Maya Chesave has already garnered her an enthusiastic fan following and two film deals. But, she knows sustaining her success will be a challenge.

“I don’t plan for the future. I am very pessimistic and don’t want to be disappointed if my plans don’t materialise. For now my career is fine and I’m getting meaty roles. I plan to sign only those films that offer me a character I can relate to,” asserts the actress who recently signed a film with NTR Jr. and Mahesh Babu after her critically acclaimed act in YMC.

Samantha wants to meticulously craft a career that ensures a long on-screen innings in Tollywood. She reportedly turned down an offer to act with Ram Charan Tej citing lack of dates. While most heroines are confined to glam-doll roles, she has a ‘checklist’ before she green lights a project – the script, the director’s potential, her character and the scope for performance. “It is the director who makes superstars. I didn’t even know how to carry off a sari. Gautam Menon gave me that confidence. The director’s potential is of key importance.”

But acting was never the first choice for this B.Com graduate from Chennai. “I always wanted to get into business and was interested in shares and stocks.” It was the chance to meet her favourite director that got her hurtling on the path to stardom, “I am a fan of Gautam Menon. I went for the audition just to see him. I never thought I’d be selected.”

Despite her Tamil debut, Banakathadi slated to release, Samantha is clear that Tollywood will always be her priority, “Telugu audiences have liked me. I owe a lot to these fans and it is my responsibility to act in this industry. Besides, Tollywood here is more chilled out and professional compared to the workaholic Tamil industry. I have fallen in love with Hyderabad. T’wood will be my priority.”

From the girl-next-door to overnight stardom, it’s been a daunting leap and Samantha frowns on rumours of her diva behaviour, “Since the success of my film YMC, there are a lot of expectations from me to sustain that success. Personally, I have not changed after I’ve become a star but I find it difficult to understand the things that come with stardom. Some people judge me, write things, twist words and change the meaning of what I’ve said. I am yet to understand why,” says the rising star who relies on her friends to keep her grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SAMANTHA FANS ☆ | Copyright © 2014

Theme images by richcano. Powered by Blogger.